Friday, March 18, 2011

Game 1 of Round 3

In Vernon at the Wesbild Centre before 2215 fans the Salmon Arm Silverbacks gained home ice advantage in the Interior Conference Finals with a 5-3 victory over the Vipers for a 1-0 series lead. With the game tied at two and seven minutes remaining in the third period the Paul de Jersey show started as he first scored while being hooked to give his team back the lead with his fourth of the playoffs followed two minutes later by stealing a puck at the blueline and passing cross ice to Mike Hammond who quickly one-timed the biscuit home for his ninth of the postseason and a two goal lead. Salmon Arm would need both markers as with three minutes left Vernon scored on a powerplay to get back within a goal before Jayson Reardon iced the game with an empty-netter from his own goaline for his first of the second season.

Overall the Vipers went one-for-six on the man-advantage in 9:48 while the Silverbacks went one-for-three with 3:40 of time on the powerplay.

Salmon Arm jumped out to a 1-0 lead four minutes into the game with a man-advantage as Dave Killip disrupted a clearing attempt allowing Brett Knowles to get a shot on goal which provided a rebound for Bryce Gervais and his second goal of the postseason. With a minute left in the first period Vernon tied the game as John Knisley's sharp angle shot produced a rebound for Darren Nowick to poke at sending the puck behind Kris Moore where referee Grant Tyson signalled a goal despite the goal light not coming on with the puck near the goalline.

The Apes were the lone team to score in the middle frame as Moore left a puck at the side of his net for Josh Manson who passed up the left wing and followed up the play to get a return pass from Knowles and wrist it over the glove of Kirby Halcrow for his second of the playoffs. For Knowles it was his second primary assist of the game and for Moore it was the first of two assists on the net (empty-net goal) to go along with 38 saves. The Snakes tied up the game for a second time half way through the third period when Dylan Walchuk's backhand shot went off Moore's pad followed by Patrick McGillis' skate as he was stopping in front of the net.

No comments: